Wednesday, October 22, 2008

ABOUT ADDICTION

When we decide that an individual is addicted? Peoples have tendency to call addiction the dependence on behaviour or on a substance that can destroy your health. Most of us are dependent of something. I smoke, he drinks, she takes drugs, they do harm their selves and she can’t stop eating…..she can not or she dose not want it? What about people who can not stop thinking have sexual activities and they abuse of someone weak…are they addicted or just mad? According to the definition I found they are not addicted because their health is not threatened by their action. A common problem in our days is the dependence to computer games, internet and gambling… they don’t destroy their organism neither, but we call them addicted, so I have searched other definitions:

- “a chronic relapsing condition characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and abuse and by long-lasting chemical changes in the brain » (medical dictionary definition )

- the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (dictionary)

I’m not a psychiatric or doctor to decide if there is a sexual addiction, and even if this subject demands more researches, it is not the primer aspect of this writing…so I’ll pass on it. It is always easier to speak about something that you seen or you felt…that you think you know... which concern you; it’s always about us. We are just little selfish creatures.

I had started smoking “because of my friends”. I had been smoking searching a kind of euphoria sensation…when I couldn’t find anymore, I have been smoking because of sadness, stress, depression. Today my cigarette represents my motivation to wake up in the morning, to go in class, to work, to spend evenings with people who speaks about things that don’t interest me ( because it doesn’t concern ME), to imagine time goes faster….I’m addicted. For him, the alcohol represents the award at the end of each working and stressful day…and he thinks he’s addicted. She is overweighed and she continues eating more that she needs…..JUST FOR PLESURE…but we have all an excuse ADDICTION. We can’t stop this behaviour, we are depended. We feel bad if we don’t smoke, drink or eat, and we don’t want to feel that. Is this behaviour destroying generally human organism? Maybe not mine maybe is already too late for me or maybe just doesn’t matter anymore. People don’t understand that we do that because we love our self, because we love the present (this moment when I’m smoking, he’s drinking, she’s eating)…because we are unconsciously so selfish and so self loving, that we are convinced we are victims of addiction.

…don’t even try to judge us. You think you’re free, but in someway in your little life you are depended on one believe, on other peoples, on one activity, on chocolate, on coffee…on something; you just ignore it having the impression you’re different.
“People do not realise that what is opposed to something is also identical with it.”





No comments: