Wednesday, October 8, 2008

QUANTIFIERS

Grammar is my weakness in English. This blog message is entirely dedicated to quantifiers.

“Quantifiers are words that are used to state quantity or amount of something without stating the actually number. “

I find an interesting link on the internet: http://www.smic.be/smic5022/quantifiers1.htm and I did the exercises online:
- the first exercise learn you how to use: little, a little, few, a few. My first score was 63%. I wasn’t pleased so I’m trying to remember the rules:

Little -> uncountable nouns -------- = ------hardly any, no much
A little-> uncountable nouns -------- = ------some, small amount
Few-> countable nouns -------- = ------ hardly any, no much
A few-> countable nouns -------- = ------some, small number

The Alex’ homework for tomorrow is also about the quantifiers.

Exercise 7/29
0%
None (both)
Almost none (countable)
Hardly any (both) / little (uncountable)/ few (countable)
Some (both) / a few (uncountable)
Many (countable) / much (uncountable)
Far too many / far to much
A lot of (both)/ All (both)
100%

1 comment:

Steve said...

They can be tricky. Best seen and used as collocations.